July 3, 2008

Barenaked Ladies Rock...for Kids!

Here's a recommendation for those of you out there with little ones: the Canadian rock group Barenaked Ladies has released their first ever kids' album, Snack Time! I'd recommend it for "Crazy ABCs" alone ("A is for Aisle, B is for Bdellium, C is for Czar..." through "P is for Pneumonia, Pterodactyl, and Psychosis" to the end--as they say, everyone knows Apple, Ball, Cat!). And "7 8 9" is awfully clever. ("1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10--WHAT ABOUT 9?!" I'm not telling, but I bet your 6-year-old knows what happened.) My in-house expert (seen below) also gives a big thumbs-up to "Pollywog in a Bog" and "The Ninjas":
The Ninjas are deadly and silent
They're also unspeakably violent
They speak Japanese; do whatever they please,
And if you tear off the masks they'll be smiling.
Is it just me, or is there something very ... Canadian ... about this album? ("I don't want to be a bother, / But I think you're in my seat.")

(Rockin' to "Eraser")

No comments: